Every June, FreshSkin celebrates Men’s Health Month with education and screenings to help identify and prevent disease. Common health risks for men include cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, anxiety/depression, hormone and nutrient deficiencies, and pain and inflammation. If you are over 40 years old and overweight or obese, your risk for these conditions all increase. The risk factor is exponential when multiple conditions exist together. This month, we focus on testosterone deficiency, or “Low T”.
Feeling tired? Unmotivated? Gaining weight? Losing muscle tone? Low libido? Trouble sleeping? Distracted at work or at home?
Testosterone plays a role in physical energy, mood, confidence, heart health, muscle mass, bone density, fat metabolism, sleep, and libido. Studies also link the combined loss of muscle mass and increased fatty deposits with degenerative diseases such as cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and diabetes. A man’s testosterone levels are vital biomarkers to consider when addressing these related health conditions.
6 Ways to Increase Testosterone:
- Bio-identical hormone replacement (BHRT) — Simple, safe and effective.
- Weight loss — Studies show that weight loss improves testosterone levels. If you’re having trouble seeing what’s below your belly, it’s time for a weight loss consult.
- Exercise — Weight lifting or other resistance training is proven to increase testosterone production.
- Nutritional and herbal supplements — The right combination can improve testosterone levels and help reduce risks associated with CVD and diabetes.
- Acupuncture — It will help you reduce stress, regulate neurotransmitters, and recover from your new exercise regimen, all proven to help boost testosterone levels.
- Sleep — Get your well deserved rest. Sleep is your “reset” button and is necessary to optimize hormone production.
While some methods literally replace testosterone, other options include encouraging the body’s own production by optimizing body composition and/or replacing precursor hormones. Additionally, nutritional supplements, herbal medicine and acupuncture are aimed at helping the body increase its own hormone production and prevent the potential causes of low testosterone.
We encourage all men to get comprehensive blood panels to identify their health risks and begin treatment and lifestyle changes to improve health and vitality. At FreshSkin Medical Spa & Wellness Center, we offer comprehensive testing and treatment for the causes and effects of Low T.
595 Elm Place, Suite 208 | The Shops on Elm Place | Highland Park, IL 60035 | 847-681-8821