This position has been filled.
The Art Director works closely with the Founder, Editor in Chief and Production Team to lead the creative direction of our brand, to guide a cohesive vision for MakeItBetter.net and our online channels, and to deliver an outstanding bi-monthly print magazine.
- Develop monthly magazine, ensure all magazine pages meet established brand guidelines
- Plan and layout magazine articles and feature stories
- Work with EIC and publisher to create bi-monthly bookmaps
- Supervise work of staff designer
- Collaborate to concept, plan, and execute bi-monthly magazine cover
- Determine artwork for each magazine article (i.e. obtain relevant photos, commission illustrations)
- Plan and supervise photoshoots for cover and feature stories
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with freelance photographers
- Set monthly production schedule and ensure all deadlines are met
- Coordinate proofreading and final edits
- Color-correct and retouch photos as needed
- Oversee printing process: prepare all files for prepress, upload and approve final pages for printer, supervise monthly press checks
- Guide the vision for our online presence, continue to grow online aesthetic and creative avenues for digital development.
- Ensure brand guidelines are followed.
- Ensure visual standards for Shop For Good, e-commerce platform
- Post digital issue on issuu and create graphic for edition for website
- Maintain photo and illustration library
- Design social media graphics (headers/backgrounds) for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.
- Create needed ads as well as sales collateral, sales sheets, images for decks, CVC sheets, monthly mag sell sheets
- Create event collateral
- Contribute to team social media efforts
- Supervise and assign tasks to production intern
- Participate on and contribute to executive committee
- Design/order printed office materials (signs, business cards, window clings)
Skills & Toolsets
- Expert in Adobe CC (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator are a must; Adobe Digital Publishing Suite is a big plus)
- Expert photo editing skills
- Excellent design, typography, and layout skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Google Docs
- Familiarity with WordPress CMS and digital best practices
- Eagerness to learn new skills and technologies
- Ability to collaborate with others and work well on a team
- Superior organization skills and a high level of attention to detail
Experience and Background
- Experience managing multiple projects in a deadline-driven environment
- Review-ready portfolio demonstrating a sophisticated design aesthetic
- Knowledge of print production processes
- Degree in graphic design or relevant work experience
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time position. Health insurance is available.
This position is on-site at our offices in Winnetka, IL.
Please send the following to Genevieve Lill, Editor in Chief, [email protected]
- cover letter
- salary requirements
- link to online portfolio or work samples in one PDF under 20MB
- 3 or more references