Are you passionate about building and executing top-quality social media strategy? Do you know what it takes to create compelling, engaging digital content? Are you an analytics whiz who knows how to set and monitor benchmarks across social channels? Are you interested in building and nurturing a quality community of followers? Do you strive to be a social entrepreneur who collaborates with other like-minded individuals to build helpful virtuous circles?
If so, let’s talk!
We are looking for a Social Media Manager to lead our multichannel social media efforts and be the voice of all things social for a fast-growing lifestyle media company catering to the greater Chicago region. This position will work closely with the Editor in Chief and collaborate with both the editorial and advertising staff to manage and grow our social presence. We are focused on being the most trusted, easiest-to-use community resource that helps to make our audience’s lives and the lives of those around them better. We use print and digital content, video, monthly guides, and offline events to get us there.
The full-time position is based out of our Chicago office, but requires a regular presence at Make It Better and partner events.
The Social Media Manager will:
- Participate in the development of and oversee the execution of our social media strategy.
- Oversee day-to-day social media initiatives, including writing and posting content and developing strategies to optimize user engagement, drive action, and grow participation across all major channels — Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Create and maintain a social media calendar, ensuring that the content for social media channels is aligned with the Editorial and Events calendars.
- Manage paid media campaigns on relevant platforms.
- Be the voice for all things social within the organization, staying on top of the latest trends and best practices, and enabling increased staff participation.
- Attend and live network Make It Better and partner events.
- Consistently monitor analytics, creating weekly and monthly reports and making recommendations for greater success based on data.
- Together with the Editor in Chief, develop an influencer strategy that includes identifying and working closely with key social influencers to help build meaningful connections
- Hire social media interns to maximize potential and delegate responsibilities as needed.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5+ years of professional social media marketing, strategy, and community-building experience, ideally social media marketing of editorial content (as opposed to consumer products/brands)
- In-depth understanding of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc., from a brand perspective as well as experience working with social media scheduling tools (eg., HootSuite). Must also have a strong familiarity with and proven track record of staying on top of best practices for each platform.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment while being able to work collaboratively and effectively with team members.
- Familiarity with social media platform analytics, Google Analytics, and ability to use information from these platforms to measure social media successes.
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices.
- Superior verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to think long-term strategy while implementing the day-to-day.
- Willingness to receive and network timely photos and commentary from MIB staff and partners outside of business hours on occasion.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to [email protected] with “Social Media Manager Application” in the subject line.