Your skincare routine does not have to be extensive. It just has to be consistent. And you should be using medical-grade skincare that incorporates quality ingredients that actually work for your skin.
We hear many women comment that their mothers and grandmothers only used Oil of Olay or Ponds and aged beautifully. Genes do play a role in healthy skin, but environmental and lifestyle factors play even greater roles. Times have changed and both the surroundings and food quality your ancestors experienced are far from what you are living today. That means you need to be more deliberate in your approach.
To help you get started, check out these helpful tips:
1. Cleanse. Twice daily is best, especially before bedtime. Your skin should feel clean, but not squeaky-clean (leave that for your floors). Even if you have oily skin, you should never strip your skin of all moisture. Doing so can send a signal to your skin to produce more oil.
2. Treatment. A powerful antioxidant that protects us from environmental issues (free radicals) such as UV rays, pollution and cigarette smoke is Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid). Taking oral Vitamin C supplements cannot provide an adequate amount of L-ascorbic acid to the skin, so incorporate a topical product to get the job done. In addition to fighting free radicals and providing sun protection, L-ascorbic acid stimulates collagen production.
3. Moisturize. All skin types should have adequate moisture, so don’t skip this step. Moisture keeps skin supple and helps skin age well. Even if you have oily skin, skipping this step can actually increase blemishes. You may need to test a few before you find the one. Look for non-comedogenic, fragrance-free and oil-free options.
4. Sunscreen. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, and it’s the most preventable, so make sure to protect your skin every day. Elta MD and glo minerals makeup are some of our favorite brands. Your sunscreen should include zinc and titanium for the best protection.
5. Sleep on satin or silk pillowcases to avoid creases in your skin. And it’s great for the hair too by avoiding breakage and reducing bedhead. We love the 100 percent pure silk pillowcase by slip™. Find them at Nordstrom.com.
So here’s to a fresh perspective, and fresh skin!
Come in for a COMPLIMENTARY VISIA Complexion Analysis and custom skincare assessment, by appointment only. Contact us at 847-681-8821.
595 Elm Place, Suite 208 | The Shops on Elm Place | Highland Park, IL 60035 | 847-681-8821