These vegetable tacos are a huge hit in my house and have converted even the strongest non-believers into Meatless Monday regulars.
Meatless Monday made headlines when the Los Angeles City Council approved a resolution encouraging residents to skip meat one day a week. L.A. is the largest city to sign on to this major campaign, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Since studies have shown countless health and environmental benefits to reducing meat consumption even one day a week (like lowering your risk for obesity, heart disease, diabetes and more), it sounds like a good idea to us! Plus, we’re definitely looking for something a little lighter after the onslaught of food that is the holidays.
This quick healthy meal is so tasty and hearty, you won’t even miss the meat.
Black Bean Vegetable Tacos
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 20 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced or mashed
- 1 can black beans
- Fresh cilantro
- Whole-wheat tortillas
1. Sauté bell peppers, onion and tomato in olive oil for 10-15 minutes.
2. While the veggies are cooking, pit and mash the avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drain and rinse the black beans, and line up the remaining ingredients (and any other favorites) in self-serve bowls.
4. Warm the tortillas in another pan for 15-20 seconds per side on low heat, and pile on the toppings.
Drink pairing: Porfirio Balderas, owner of That Little Mexican Café in Evanston, recommends pairing this recipe with a classic margarita with good tequila, a Corona or a light white wine, such as chardonnay or sauvignon blanc.