St. Patrick’s Day weekend is upon us, and if you’re in the Chicago area, chances are you have some sort of plans to celebrate, whether by participating in a bar crawl, viewing the river dyeing, or watching the parade. And if you want to do as the Irish do, you may also want to tip a glass of Irish whiskey. Not one for sipping it straight? Our friends over at Tullamore DEW have shared a few recipes to help get you into the St. Patrick’s Day spirit.
If your go-to drink is the uber-popular Moscow Mule, you’ll love this version that subs Irish whiskey and lemon juice for the classic vodka and lime juice.
- 2 ounces Tullamore DEW Original
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- Top with ginger beer
- Lime wheel garnish
- 2 ounces of Tullamore DEW Irish Whiskey
- Top with freshly brewed hot coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Heavy cream, slightly whipped
Those who love an interesting, elegant cocktail will want to give the Tipperary, a tipple that’s been around for over a century, a try this St. Paddy’s.
- 1.5 ounces Tullamore DEW
- 10 ounces Sweet vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Green Chartreuse
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
More from Make It Better:
- 8 Chicago Restaurants and Delis That Will Satisfy Your St. Patrick’s Day Corned Beef Craving
- 6 Chicago Restaurants Making 2018 the Year of the Vegetable
- 18 New Chicago Restaurants You Need on Your Radar
Macon Bianucci is a student at Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism. She is an intern at Make It Better for her final quarter at Northwestern, and she enjoys writing about social justice issues and politics. Macon is a longtime supporter of The Foundation For Tomorrow, a NGO in Tanzania that provides education and support for orphaned and vulnerable children.