Dec 2013 | | Comments
This is one time you’ll really want to eat a cold dessert in the winter.
Magnolia Bakery shared this recipe for the ultimate holiday cake that's guaranteed to be a hit at every shindig this season. It’s the perfect dessert for a party or baking day when you’re looking to stay indoors. It might look tricky, but don’t be alarmed—the hardest part will be waiting to dig in.
Peppermint Ice Box Cake
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Make chocolate wafers: Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mixer. Pulse in the butter. Pulse in the egg and continue processing until thoroughly combined. Divide the dough in half, flatten into circles, wrap and refrigerate until hardened. Once hardened, roll out the dough until paper thin and cut out 2-inch circles. Place circles onto baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes, or until crispy.
3. Make the whipped cream: Pour the heavy cream into a mixer. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the sugar and peppermint extract. Begin whipping on a medium-high speed until the cream thickens slightly in the middle. Once the cream begins to thicken, whip on high speed for 30 seconds to one minute until the cream is very thick.
4. Using an offset spatula, spread a very thin layer of cream on a doily, spinning and smoothing the cream out to the inner edge. Use just enough cream for the first layer of wafers to stick to the doily.
5. Take 7 wafer cookies and place them around the edge of the whipped cream, with 1 in the center. Make sure the wafers are an equal distance apart.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of cream over the first layer of cookies. Smooth the cream out almost to the edge, until you can barely see the edge of the wafer.
7. Take 7 more cookies and place them in between the first layer of wafers, making sure they are an equal distance apart.
8. Continue to stack the cookies in between the previous layer using 1/2 cup of cream per layer. There will be 10-12 layers.
9. Store the cake in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours before serving.
Want more? Stop by Magnolia Bakery, 108 N. State St., Chicago, or visit their website.
© Copyright 2009-2013 All Rights Reserved, Make It Better. 588 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka IL 60093