This weekend, don’t miss two festivals, the beginning of a new season at Ravinia, a play making its Chicago debut, and a book and wine event hosted by a favorite local bookstore.
Opens May 31
Steppenwolf Theatre Company will present the Chicago premiere of “Guards at the Taj,” written by Rajiv Joseph and directed by Steppenwolf ensemble member Amy Morton. The New York Times wrote, “Frisky, funny dialogue! Directed by Amy Morton with a rich sense of atmosphere that raises potent questions about the human price paid throughout history for the caprices of the mighty!”
This annual festival will return with Greek street foods, traditional and modern Greek music, dance troupes, kids activities, a new crafts area, and more.
Celebrate Highwood will host its 6th annual North Shore Pride Fest this weekend. The day will include a Pride Family Picnic, Family Friendly Drag Show, and an adults only Taste the Rainbow Pub Crawl.
It’s officially a new season at Ravinia and we cannot wait to enjoy summer nights with the best in the music business. If you’re heading out to see Diana Ross, be sure to check out the new dining options at Ravinia while you’re there.
Book Bin Northbrook will host its second Books ’n’ Bottles event with author (and former Highland Park resident) Mary Morris. Attendees will be able to taste a selection of wines while you talk with the author of “Gateway to the Moon.” Saturday’s event will take place at Wilmette Wine Cellar while Sunday’s event will be held at the Book Bin.
- Don’t miss the North Shore Art League’s inaugural abstraction show, running now through July 10 at the Winnetka Community House. This show features more than 100 works highlighting “the amazing depth and vision the abstract genre affords artists.”
- Ravinia District Food Truck Thursdays will begin June 7 at Jens Jensen Park in Highland Park. Dine on food and drinks from local food trucks and restaurants while you enjoy live music every Thursday night through Sept. 13.
More from Make It Better:
- 11 Must-See Summer Movies to Watch in 2018
- One-on-One With ‘Grandbaby Cakes’ Author Jocelyn Delk Adams
- 14 Upcoming Shows and Plays in Chicago You Won’t Want to Miss
Anna Carlson writes the weekly 5 Things to Do column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.