This weekend, give back at a wine walk in Winnetka, usher in fall with a bonfire and barn dance in Glenview, dine on the best tacos in Chicago, and walk through a brand new art exhibit at the Spertus Institute. Plus, don’t miss the American Craft Exposition at Chicago Botanic Garden.
In its 33rd year, this expo will bring more than 140 artisans to Chicago Botanic Garden to showcase their luxury goods and artwork. Best of all, proceeds will support NorthShore University HealthSystem research.
Support Boys Hope Girls Hope of Illinois with wine and light bites throughout Winnetka’s East Elm district. This organization “helps academically capable and motivated children-in-need to meet their full potential and become men and women for others by providing value-centered, family-like homes, opportunities and education through college.”
Get into the spirit of fall with wagon rides, live music and dancing at Wagner Farm. The evening will end with story time around the fire (and s’mores!).
If you love tacos, you won’t want to miss this festival featuring tortillas stuffed with everything from grilled chicken and tequila shrimp to lobster and duck. Plus, visit the kids’ activity area, watch Mexican wrestlers, rock out to live music, and vote for the best taco from participating restaurants like Taco Joint and Tuco and Blondie.
Opens Sept. 17
Pieces by artists who were part of the Midwest Jewish Artists Lab will soon be on display at the Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership. Be one of the first to see these works of art, all reflecting the theme of “boundaries,” during a free opening reception on Sunday. RSVP today.
Give Back Opportunity
- What’s for dinner this weekend? How about a “Camburger” from Meatheads? Chicago Bears wide receiver Cameron Meredith has partnered with the chain to create this burger topped with bacon, pineapple, jalapeños, a fried egg, and barbecue sauce. Purchase a Camburger through Dec. 31 and 20 percent of proceeds will be given to Chance the Rapper’s charity, SocialWorks. (Learn more about how Meredith’s teammate Sam Acho is also making a difference off the field.)
- Maze Home will host Brian Coleman, author of “The Art of Luxury Linens,” on Wed. Sept. 20, for a book signing and cocktail hour. Coleman will be joined by Joan Carl, the owner and vice chairman of D. Porthault, and her husband, Bernard.
More from Make It Better:
- 9 New Fall TV Shows You Won’t Want to Miss
- Behind the Scenes: What It’s Like to Be on the TODAY Show
- Fall Theater Preview: 5 Plays in Chicago You Won’t Want to Miss
Anna Carlson writes the weekly 5 Things to Do column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of Glenbrook South High School and the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.