The hostess who has everything is a tough bird to shop for, but these festive selections will feather any nest on your list.
Gilded Brazilian agate coasters so beautiful, it seems almost criminal to cover them with a cocktail. $80/4, Material Possessions, 954 Green Bay Road, Winnetka
- Even Better: Founded in Winnetka in 1977, Material Possessions is celebrating more than 40 years of brilliant local business.
Featuring 4,188 springs, tailoring that rivals a Birkin bag, and interchangeable legs — meaning there’s no frame required — this is as luxe as it gets. $14,680 for a King, Duxiana, 619 N. State St., Chicago
- Even Better: Duxiana has received the Oeko-Tex 100 stamp of approval. Translation: It’s completely toxin-free.
It doesn’t get cozier than baby alpaca — or more stylish than dip-dyed fringe. $350, Shopping for a Change
- Even Better: Every purchase funds sustainable employment for artisan communities in suburban Peru.
The MCA’s Murakami exhibit was the talk of the summer — and this limited edition of 300 artist-signed print is wowing us this winter. $5,895 (10 percent off for MCA members), Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago Store
- Even Better: All proceeds from the MCA shop support the exhibitions of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, one of our city’s greatest treasures.
Veuve plus voicemail? YES. This bottle of bubbly (rosé, because obviously) comes with a recordable box. $129, Pantheon Wine Shoppe, 899 Skokie Blvd., Northbrook
- Even Better: We heart Veuve for many reasons: unparalleled taste, sustainable viticulture, and a commitment to reduced chemicals and herbicides.
Your grapeful recipients won’t know what they love more: the brilliant bottle, or the crisp, dry bubbly inside. $59, One Hope
- Even Better: For each bottle sold, a whopping 15 (!) hungry children receive a meal.
Three gourmet goodies — an olive oil, a vinegar, and a surprise — delivered to the door of your choice four times a year. $249, Global Gardens
- Even Better: Enter “MAKEITBETTER” at checkout to receive a complimentary club shipment (a $78 value) when you join for one year.
The photos on each of these 10 recycled-paper cards were taken by kids who were given a camera as a way to cope with a traumatic experience. $27, 100cameras
- Even Better: Each purchase supports 100cameras, which benefits both children who’ve been through trauma and the communities they live in.
Read the complete 2017 Gift Guide:
Cara Sullivan is Make It Better’s Print Managing Editor. She has held positions at Cosmopolitan, Allure, and Martha Stewart Weddings magazines, and writes for many national and local publications. Sullivan lives in Ravenswood Gardens with her husband and two young daughters, and is a passionate supporter of Indivisible Chicago, a grassroots organization that focuses on direct actions that small, local groups can take to influence their representatives in Washington.