“Aging” is something we should all know well—we’ve been doing it since we were born.
And we’re always looking for help on how to do it right. When we’re children, we look to our friends and parents for guidance. As we age into adulthood, some questions become easier, others harder. Finally, there comes a point where suddenly our parents rely on us for advice, insight and assistance with the next phase of their lives. Or we find ourselves wondering what lifestyle choices we should consider as we move past childrearing and into retirement.
This guide is here to help, with in-depth information about local services and facilities, input from experts and advice on choices you are faced with for your family or yourself. Aging is a process. Aging well? It’s a journey.
CARING FOR YOUR AGING PARENTS
- How to Talk to Your Parents About Senior Living
- Managing Your Parents’ Health and Happiness Long Distance
- How Do I Tell Mom to Stop Driving?
- Should Your Mom or Dad Move In?
- Advice About Assisted Living for Aging Relatives (The New York Times)
SENIOR LIVING OPTIONS
- Caregiving Options for Older Adults
- Why You Should Consider a Geriatric Care Manager
- SASI Knows There’s No Place Like Home for Seniors
- When Will I Be Ready? Considering the Move to Senior Living
- The Best Nontraditional Places to Retire
- Like a College Visit, Minus Kegs (The New York Times)
- Retirement Communities: The 7 Things You Should Ask (Huffington Post)
- Role Models for Positive Aging: Ruth Marcus
- Role Models for Positive Aging: Marion Balcerzak
- Tech Solutions Help Older Adults
- A Long Journey: In Her 80s and Making a New Home
- Amazing Seniors
- 6 Best Apps for Seniors
- 6 Best iPhone and iPad Apps for Seniors Part II
- Boomers reinvent themselves in retirement (USA Today)
- Save for Retirement—or College? (The Wall Street Journal)
LOCAL BLOGGERS & VIDEOS
- Senior Living Experts –A blog dedicated to helping Chicagoland families find the best senior-living options
- Your submissions welcome! Submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
BEST OF NATIONAL BLOGS & VIDEOS
- Life Lived Forward – This award-winning blog details seniors following their passions and provides resources for finance, caregivers, travel and more.
- Help! Aging Parents – This blog is geared toward members of the “sandwich generation” who are caring for their aging parents and want to help them age well.
Local & National Resources
AARP – The American Association of Retired Persons is a nonprofit organization that fights for issues such as healthcare, employment security, and retirement planning in families, and aims to better the life of people over age 50.
AHCA – The American Health Care Association is a nonprofit federation of affiliate state health organizations that represents 11,000 nursing facility, assisted living, developmentally disabled, and subacute care providers who care for the elderly and disabled.
Care Conversations – This organization, led by the AHCA and the NCAL, provides insight into the care planning process, first-hand accounts of various care experiences, and connects people with health-care providers and industry professionals.
CMS – The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services aims to better care and lower costs of Medicaid and Medicare.
NAHC – The National Association for Home Care and Hospice is a nonprofit organization that advocates for therapists, aides and other caregivers who work in-home. They also represent the 33,000 home-care and hospice organizations in the U.S.
National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization – This organization is committed to improving end-of-life care and expanding access to hospice care with the goal of enhancing the quality of life for the people who seek hospice care and their families.