Hester Painting & Decorating shares tips on important seasonal preventive maintenance
With winter just around the corner, now is the time for homeowners to examine their houses for signs of wear and damage and take some preventive measures regarding upkeep. Brutal precipitation and cold temperatures can exacerbate small problems and wreak havoc. A thorough autumn inspection is a must. Recently, we received a suggestion from long-time Hester client Bill Wendt. “Talk every one of your customers into doing annual maintenance,” he says. “I should have listened to you before. It is the only way to go.”
“The key to maintaining your home inside and out is to catch issues as early as possible and fix them quickly, before minor repairs lead to costly problems,” says Steve Hester, of Hester Painting & Decorating. “Fall is an ideal time to give your home a thorough review and prep for the coming weather.”
Hester recommends homeowners take the following steps — or hire a skilled contractor to conduct them — in order to protect their family and their home’s value for years to come.
- Painted Areas — Walk all the way around your home’s exterior looking for exposed wood. Touch up any cracked, chipping or peeling paint.
- Sump Pumps — Check the operation of the sump pump and battery back-up in order to help prevent flooding.
- Gutters — Clear out debris. Leaves and dirt can trap water leading to interior wall and ceiling damage.
- Exhaust Vents — Clean and vacuum the dryer exhaust vent and kitchen hood vent to help prevent dust and lint build-up that can cause fires.
- Windows and Doors — Replace any worn weather stripping on exterior doors. Caulk windows to prevent mildew and keep energy bills lower.
- Exhaust Flaps — Easily overlooked by homeowners, exhaust vents can be inviting havens for birds. Check for and remove any nests that might stop warm air from escaping and create moisture build-up in the walls. Install protective wire cages.
These tasks and more than 25 other important tasks are included in Hester Painting & Decorating’s new service: Hester Home Maintenance. This service includes a comprehensive quarterly review of the home’s interior and exterior condition, to help ensure the proper maintenance and safety for your home and your family. With maintenance services starting as low as $195 per quarter, this is a great program to allow for homeowner peace of mind, knowing that all of those important tasks are taken care of without having to try to remember what to do and without having to risk their own safety trying to perform some of the tasks.
To join or learn more about the program, contact Steve Hester at 847-677-5130 or sign up for an appointment at hesterhomemaintenance.com.