Looking for ways to get out now that spring has finally decided to show itself? Research shows that being outdoors can help reduce stress levels, improve physical health, ease anxiety, and brighten one’s overall mood. To briefly quote John Muir, “Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.” Here are six ways of getting out and about in Delavan, Wisconsin.
1. You don’t need to be a history buff to enjoy learning about Delavan’s varied history. Take a self-guided walking tour of the 20 murals adorning buildings throughout the Downtown area, and a few beyond. In June 2015, the Walldogs, a group of more than 200 talented sign and mural artists from all over the world, gathered in Delavan to paint the original 18 murals, each depicting an aspect of Delavan’s storied history. Since then two more murals have been added.
2. Get ready to be amazed by the dazzling equestrian show at the Dancing Horses Theatre. Marvel at the pageantry and beautiful blend of skill and communication between horse and human, through the majesty of the exquisitely trained horses. Be sure to make time for the full adventure, which includes the 40-acre Animal Gardens, home to 16 species of exotic creatures and 60 hay-eating animals, and then watch the always entertaining Exotic Bird Show, featuring Echo, the singing bird from “America’s Got Talent.”
3. Take a leisurely stroll along the historic brick street through the Downtown, checking out the unique, one-of-a-kind shops. You’ll easily find that treasured item you didn’t even know you needed! Don’t forget to stop and see the largest collection of cookie jars in the Midwest, found at Remember When Antiques. A visit Downtown isn’t complete without shopping at Bradley’s Department Store, one of the oldest, continuously operating department stores in the country.
4. Take in the view of Delavan Lake while golfing a round at Majestic Oaks at Lake Lawn Resort or help Delbrook Golf Club celebrate their 90th anniversary with a round at their 27-hole golf course. Make sure to grab a bite to eat at a local favorite, Greenie’s Clubhouse at Delbrook Golf Club, even if you don’t golf!
5. Enjoy Delavan Lake in other ways than just with the view while golfing, by paddle boarding, kayaking, boating, swimming, fishing, or go ahead and just sit and relax along the lake shore.
6. Do you have a green thumb and love gardening? Congdon Gardens will offer beauty and inspiration with its ever changing display of flowers, shrubs, and trees surrounding a serene pond. Walk through the various gardens, snap some photos, get inspired, or just enjoy the peace and serenity. You could even pick up some carry out treats at any of the local eateries and have a picnic in the gazebo.
Whatever you choose to do to find yourself out and about in Delavan, you can always go to VisitDelavan.com for ways to “find your adventure!”