This weekend marks the beginning of annual holiday favorites like Illumination at The Morton Arboretum and “A Christmas Carol” at Goodman Theatre. Plus, don’t miss the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival, a brand new production from Cirque du Soleil, and a new exhibit at the American Writers Museum.
Cirque du Soleil will explore “the artistic attributes of ice” for the first time ever with this production featuring world-class ice skaters and acrobats.
Opens Nov. 17
Bundle up and take this one-mile outdoor walking tour among trees that come alive through lights, projections, and music. Warm up at concession tents and fire pits along the way, and stop by for special events like Holiday Wine Tasting (Nov. 30, Dec. 1) and Supper with St. Nick (Dec. 21-22).
It’s once again time for the Magnificent Mile to glow for the holidays, and it all kicks off with this, the country’s largest evening holiday celebration. Don’t miss family friendly activities, shopping, a parade, and fireworks over the Chicago River.
Opens Nov. 18
Goodman Theatre’s production of this holiday classic returns for its 40th year in 2017. Find even more must-see shows this season in our holiday theater guide.
Opens Nov. 18
The American Writers Museum will open this exhibit on Laura Ingalls Wilder with items like the longhand manuscript of “The Long Winter,” handwritten notes by Ingalls Wilder, and other memorabilia from museums and organizations around the country.
Give Back Opportunities
- Join 900 North Michigan Shops on Nov. 16 for Illuminate 900, a tree-lighting party complete with cookie decorating and live music that benefits Make-A-Wish of Illinois.
- The Women’s Board of Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital’s annual Holiday Boutique returns Nov. 15-18 with approximately 40 vendors selling clothes, toys, home goods, accessories, and more. Proceeds will benefit the construction of the new Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital.
- The Woman’s Club of Evanston will host their annual Holiday Bazaar Nov. 17-19. Admission is free on Saturday and Sunday, but you can purchase $20 tickets for the Preview Party on Friday night, which will benefit the Club’s Community Grants Program.
More from Make It Better:
- 5 of the Most Gorgeous College Towns in America
- The 9 Best West Loop Restaurants Near the United Center
- 17 Podcasts and Audiobooks That Will Make Family Road Trips Fly By
Anna Carlson writes the weekly 5 Things to Do column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of Glenbrook South High School and the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.