Ready or not, the holidays are almost here. Start checking items off your shopping list with a few shows this weekend featuring the best in antiques, sculpture, crafts and more. Plus, don’t miss two author events.
And learn more about the Chicagoland Holiday Chocolate Show, taking place Nov. 4-5 in Northbrook.
SOFA CHICAGO is back for its 24th year of presenting the best in Sculpture, Objects and Functional Art and Design. Roughly 80 galleries from around the world will be in attendance this year to display ceramics, glass art, paintings, photography, and more at Navy Pier. Make It Better is a proud media partner of this event.
Start your holiday shopping at this annual faire featuring contemporary crafts, accessories, seasonal decorations, and more from more than 60 juried artists. If you can’t make it, the faire continues next weekend (Nov. 9-12).
Family Action Network and the Chicago Waldorf School will host Nancy Koehn, the James E. Robinson Chair of Business Administration at Harvard Business School, for a free event to discuss her book “Forged in Crisis: The Power of Courageous Leadership in Turbulent Times.” Koehn looks at five leaders and the skills they possessed for moments of crisis.
Shop art, clothes, furniture, jewelry, and more at “the Midwest’s most well-respected combined antiques and modernism show,” which will benefit the Winnetka Community House. The event kicks off with a Preview Party Nov. 2.
The Frances Willard House Museum will host Joan Marie Johnson, author of “Funding Feminism: Monied Women, Philanthropy, and the Women’s Movement, 1870-1967,” who will discuss the impact wealthy women had on political equality. Reservation are recommended.
- On Nov. 3, Instituto Cervantes of Chicago will present “¡Anímate with Animayo!,” a bilingual stop-motion film workshop for children ages 8-10. This event will take place in partnership with the 34th Chicago International Children’s Film Festival, running through Nov. 5.
- On Nov. 5, Go Green Wilmette will host Sip Red, Go Green at the Wilmette Wine Cellar. Sip on wine and socialize with other guests as the new Green Grants program is launched.
- Bowl to make a difference! The Jordan Michael Filler Foundation will host Strike Out Substance Abuse With JMFF on Nov. 5 to raise money for Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago’s Substance Use and Prevention Program, opening in the spring.
- Chicago Restaurant Ronero and “America’s Next Top Model’ winner Jaslene Gonzalez will host a fundraiser for hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico on Nov. 7. Enjoy appetizers, a rum bar, live art, and music by Grammy nominee Frankie Negron while raising money for Unidos Por Puerto Rico.
- Join LuxeHome on Nov. 9 for CHILL, an international wine and culinary event benefitting the Lynn Sage Foundation, Saturday Place, and Respiratory Health Association.
More from Make It Better:
- 5 of the Most Gorgeous College Towns in America
- The 9 Best West Loop Restaurants Near the United Center
- Vote for Your Favorite Look From the Gold Coast Fashion Award Show
Anna Carlson writes the weekly 5 Things to Do column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of Glenbrook South High School and the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.