The weekend is almost here and you won’t want to miss a festival at Chicago Botanic Garden, an evening of spoken word in Evanston, a vertical egg hunt in Chicago, and more.
Explore Iceland right here in Chicago with food, a cocktail class, films, music, and more.
Search for eggs around the walls at Brooklyn Boulders Chicago and win prizes. This event is open to kids ages 5-12 with adult supervision.
Lee Melchior hosts this evening of poetry and storytelling, plus music, refreshments, and visual art, at Ice House Gallery.
Learn about pollinators, flowers, fruits, and more during this Chicago Botanic Garden event featuring activities and workshops for the whole family. Plus, adults won’t want to miss Science After Hours with cocktails, food, and activities.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- On April 12, go on a hike with a Heller Nature Center naturalist and then make s’mores around a campfire.
- Learn calligraphy as you enjoy brunch during Travelle at The Langham’s calligraphy workshop series. The series begins April 13 and continues May 19 and June 1.
- Join “The New Yorker” cartoonist Ken Krimstein on April 14 for a tour of Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership’s exhibit “The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt.”
Make a Difference:
- Help the North Suburban YMCA continue to provide scholarships for services like special needs programming, swim lessons, camp, and more at the 13th annual Strong Kids Fundraiser on April 12.
- Join the Misericordia Women’s Auxiliary on April 12 for Misericordia Loves Chicago, an evening of fashion, cocktails and small plates, music, dancing, and a luxury raffle to benefit Misericordia Heart of Mercy.
- Children’s Place Association hosts the 2019 Once Upon a Time Gala on April 13. This organization’s “focused model of health care, education, housing and family support lifts children out of poverty and puts them on the path to become empowered young adults.”
- The mission of Aspiritech is to “empower individuals on the autism spectrum to fulfill their potential through meaningful employment combined with social opportunity.” Join this nonprofit on April 13 for an evening of dancing, dining, and more during the Dreams Grow Here Gala.
More from Make It Better:
- 30 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This April
- Theater: 23 Can’t-Miss Musicals and Plays in Chicago This Spring and Summer
- 5 Reasons ‘Cruel Intentions: The ‘90s Musical’ Will Be Everything to Fans of the Film
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.