This weekend, don’t miss a beer festival at one of Chicago’s most popular museums, restaurant deals, a film festival, and more.
Studio5 welcomes the Don Stiernberg Quartet and the Fred Simon Quartet for a fundraising concert to benefit hunger relief.
The Field Museum hosts more than 70 breweries for this festival also featuring music, food, and access to various museum exhibits.
Begin March 9
On Saturdays and Sundays through March 24, watch as maple trees are tapped to turn sap into maple syrup during a one-hour hike with Lake County Forest Preserve educators.
Begins March 10
Enjoy prix fixe three-course menus during lunch and dinner at restaurants like Bub City, Five Roses Pub, McCormick & Schmick’s, and Murray Bros Caddy Shack. Find a complete list of participants on the event website. Rosemont Restaurant Week ends March 16.
Through March 17
Now in its sixth year, this film festival features 43 films (including a world premiere and 12 Midwest premieres) at venues including ArcLight Theaters in Glenview and Chicago, Deer Park’s and Evanston’s Cinemark Theatres, and the Music Box Theatre in Lakeview.
The Richard H. Driehaus Museum opened the first exhibit in its new contemporary art series, “A Tale of Today: Yinka Shonibare CBE,” on March 2. “Yinka Shonibare is an artist who draws on history, politics, and fashion to explore and critique our understanding of the past with equal doses of humor, irony, and theatrics,” says Director Richard P. Townsend. The exhibit runs through Sept. 29, 2019.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Beth Hillel Bnai Emunah Congregation hosts the Chicago Bar Association’s 95th Annual Bar Show, Big Little Laws: A Whodunnit, on March 9.
- In honor of its 10th anniversary, visit the Illinois Holocaust Museum for free on the 10th of each month this year starting March 10. Visit to see current special exhibits “Purchased Lives: The American Slave Trade from 1808 to 1865” and “Activists and Icons: The Photographs of Steve Schapiro,” as well as the Take a Stand Center, where you can interact with holograms of Holocaust survivors.
- Celebrate the opening of Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods’ BASE (Brushwood Art Supply Exchange) on March 10 with refreshments, upcycled art demos, and more. Plus, find a list of items you can donate, like drawing and painting supplies, on the Brushwood Center website.
Make a Difference:
- Support PAWS Chicago on March 8 during the 13th Annual Animal Magnetism. The event features an open bar, silent auction and raffle, photo booth, dancing, and more. Canine guests can also enjoy the “Dog Spa,” and goody bags passed out at the end of the night include treats for humans and their pets.
- Join the Les Turner ALS Foundation on March 9 for the Hope Through Caring Gala featuring a balloon raffle, paddle raise, dinner, and music from The Chicago Players.
- During March, every donation made to Mercy Home for Boys & Girls will be matched. Learn more and donate today.
More from Make It Better:
- 31 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This March
- Love A Cappella and Disney Music? You Need to Hear This Group
- 15 of the Best Things to Do With Kids Around Chicago Right Now
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.