This weekend, start your holiday shopping at the last Arts & Craft Faire in Glenview, enjoy food and drinks from Ravenswood businesses, explore the newest exhibit at Anne Loucks Gallery, sample wine for a good cause, and more.
2018 marks the final year of this faire at The Grove, where more than 50 juried artisans will sell seasonal crafts, gifts, and decorations, jewelry, baked goods, and more. Plus, visitors can explore The Grove’s Holiday House (Kennicott Historic Home), Grannie’s Cottage (Redfield Estate), Snowflake Chalet, Mistletoe Cabin, and the Gingerbread House (Interpretive Center).
Sample the best of Ravenswood at this event, back for its fourth year. Participants include Biscuit Man, Dovetail Brewery, Half Acre Beer Co., KOVAL Distillery, Mac Dynamite, Roots Handmade Pizza, and Steingold’s of Chicago.
Opens Nov. 9
The latest exhibit at Anne Loucks Gallery features 25 paintings by Yaz Krehbiel and Sara MacCulloch that “pay homage to the ever changing effects of light, color, and atmosphere on water and land.” Meet Krehbiel at the opening reception on Nov. 9 from 5-7 p.m. The exhibit runs through Jan. 8, 2019.
Sample wines and spirits from around the world, meet experts, and more during this event benefiting Holiday Heroes, an organization that brings parties to hospitalized children. Make It Better is a proud sponsor of this event.
Ballet Folklórico de México returns to Auditorium Theatre for the first time since 2015 to perform traditional Mexican dances.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- This year’s OLPH Holly Fair (Nov. 8-9) features roughly 50 booths selling goods perfect for gifting. A portion of proceeds will benefit the OLPH Women’s Club.
- Need of a good laugh? Don’t miss the Chicago Comedy Film Festival Nov. 9-11 at Columbia College.
- Aware Records is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a show at House of Blues on Nov. 10. Featured artists include Jackopierce, Matt Scannell, Brian Vander Ark, Alice Peacock, Isaac Slade, and Nick Santino.
- Beanstalk Toys in Highland Park is transforming into Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory on Dec. 15, but first, stop by to purchase a Wonka Bar for a chance to win a Golden Ticket. Golden Ticket winners will have early access to the store on Dec. 15, and proceeds from the Wonka Bars will support a local family in need.
- If you haven’t been yet, visit Chicago Children’s Museum’s new Zoom Room exhibit with hundreds of toy cars ready to make their way around more than 40 tracks in a multilevel race course. The exhibit will be open through April 21, 2019.
Make a Difference
- On Nov. 8, LuxeHome’s 12th Annual CHILL, an International Wine and Culinary Event, will highlight wines from around the world and food from Chicago chefs, all to support three organizations: Lynn Sage Foundation, Respiratory Health Association, and Saturday Place.
- Book a grooming appointment for your furry best friend at Wags on Willow by Nov. 10 (for an appointment by Dec. 14) and the salon will donate up to one week of food for each dog or cat at Heartland Animal Shelter in Northbrook.
More from Make It Better:
- 30 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This November
- 18 Plays in Chicago You Won’t Want to Miss This Holiday Season
- Finished Your Favorite TV Series? Here’s What to Watch (Ahem, Binge) Now
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.