The weekend is almost here and there are a variety of can’t-miss events, including the start of Joffrey Ballet’s newest season, two music festivals, a wine tasting experience, and multiple events for Halloween fun.
The Joffrey Ballet opens its 2018-2019 season with Christopher Wheeldon’s “Swan Lake,” which is returning to Chicago for the first time since 2014.
Oct. 17 to Nov. 18
The only Latino-focused classical music festival in Chicago returns for a month of performances throughout the city. Featured artists include Eduardo Fernández, Fareed Haque, and Goran Ivanovic, and collaborations involve Instituto Cervantes of Chicago, Old Town School of Folk Music, The Art Institute of Chicago, and more.
Want to learn more about wine? Don’t miss this “tasting experience” at Revel Fulton Market with interactive tastings, seminars, and more from top exhibitors, sommeliers, and brand ambassadors.
The University of Chicago’s Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts celebrates the future of blues with a weekend filled with concerts, screenings, music and poetry workshops, live interviews, and more.
Chicago Botanic Garden’s annual dog-friendly costume contest returns to crown winners in categories like Best Costume Overall, Best Dog/Owner Costume, and Best Horticultural Interpretation. Vendors will also be on hand selling dog-related products.
LUMA8, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, Chicago Park District, and the Chicago Loop Alliance present this Halloween parade down State Street showcasing more than 90 cultural organizations and neighborhood groups. Afterward, enjoy a dance party at “the Bean” and family-friendly activities and a movie at Maggie Daley Park.
Start your Halloween celebrations early with this party featuring inflatables, pony rides, a children’s haunted maze, a costume contest, treats, and more.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- The Glenview Park District’s Halloween Spooktacular on Oct. 19 will feature inflatables, crafts, games, and more for kids ages 2-10 (parents must accompany their children).
- NEWCITY will host a free, family-friendly Fall Festival on Oct. 20 with pumpkin decorating, carnival games, and donuts and cider.
- Tour Temperance Beer Co.’s brewery every Saturday at 3 p.m. Tours are $10 and include beer samples, a souvenir pint glass, and 20 percent off merchandise.
- HHP/helping hand partners works with “fair trade organizations in the U.S. and around the world to provide job opportunities for those in need.” Join them for an evening of wine, food, and shopping to raise funds to “create jobs and lift communities” on Oct. 22 at Tufano’s Vernon Park Tap. Guests will enjoy a socially responsible silent auction, inspiring speakers, and, of course, delicious Italian food.
More from Make It Better:
- Navy Pier: Chicago’s Lakefront Treasure
- 31 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This October
- 9 Classic Book Series That Will Make You Seriously Nostalgic
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.