Start crossing items off your holiday shopping list this weekend with two seasonal markets in the Chicago area. Plus, create family memories with a new event at Shedd Aquarium, a free carnival, and a festive show.
If you’re looking for that perfect holiday gift, you’ll most likely find it at this annual holiday market — more than 600 artists and makers are participating. Find accessories, bath and body products, clothing, art, gourmet food, and more, plus enjoy fashion shows and live music throughout the weekend.
Join Shedd Aquarium for this new event that allows kids ages 3-12 (accompanied by an adult) to learn about how the aquarium prepares and delivers food for its animals, who you’ll meet as you make food just like the animal care team.
Visit NEWCITY, a Lincoln Park shopping and entertainment district, for this free family-friendly event featuring arts and crafts, winter games, face painting, hot chocolate, a visit from Santa, and more. NEWCITY will also host a “Frozen” Hanukkah celebration and Menorah lighting ceremony on Dec. 9 from 5-7 p.m.
For the nature and art lovers on your holiday shopping list, visit Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods during this second annual holiday art market. Plus, don’t miss additional events like artist demos, a luminary hike, caroling, and more.
Chicago Tap Theatre presents this show of music and tap to celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, and all things winter.
More Can’t-Miss Events:
- Explore more than 90 local businesses and take advantage of special deals during Late Night Andersonville on Dec. 7, when participating shops will stay open until at least 9 p.m. You’ll even be able to take a ride on the free Andersonville Holiday Trolley.
- Who says haunted houses are just for Halloween? Buy your tickets now for Krampus: A Haunted Christmas, a holiday-themed interactive haunted house in Chicago Dec. 7-8.
- Catch one of the latest family flicks like “Wreck-It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet” or “The Grinch” at CMX Market Cinemas Old Orchard then lace up your skates and hit the Whoville-themed ice rink with Old St. Nick himself at Westfield Old Orchard’s Skate and Screen With Santa on Dec. 8. Enjoy face painting, crafts, hot cocoa, and even a visit from the Grinch. Tickets are $15 and all proceeds benefit NorthShore University HealthSystem.
More from Make It Better:
- 31 of the Best Things to Do in Chicago This December
- The Best Holiday Movies and Shows to Stream With the Whole Family
- 6 Ways to Experience Holidays Around the World Right Here in Chicago
Anna Carlson writes the weekly Weekend 101 column and monthly Recommended Events. A graduate of the University of Missouri, her work has been published in Chicago Parent, Inside Columbia Magazine, and Central California Parent Magazine. She is a proud supporter of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.