Whether your guy loves music, art, or the latest gadget, here are a few ideas that will make his day.
This Chicago-based start-up has perfected the art of the all-in-one turntable — with serious cool factor to boot. $550, Gramovox 
- Even Better: Local businesses like this one share a larger portion of their revenue with the community, enriching the neighborhoods you live in.
A conversation pièce de résistance for the design-minded art lover. $620 (15 percent off for CFA members), Chicago Architecture Foundation Shop 
- Even Better: Purchases from the Chicago Architectural Foundation’s shop support their educational mission “to inspire people to discover how design matters.”
The true coffee aficionado deserves this statement brewer, a pour-over so pretty, it doubles as art. $120, Manual 
- Even Better: Chicago Designer Craighton Berman launched his original coffeemaker on Kickstarter in 2014 — and raised a whopping $100,000 in just 30 days.
Tricked out with Bluetooth 4.1 and a folding headband, they’re the ultimate in on-the-go headphones. $130, LSTN Sound Co. 
- Even Better: A portion of the proceeds funds hearing aids for people in need worldwide through the Starkey Hearing Foundation .
Orée Romance Board 
Complete with red-lacquered initials and a love poem engraved on the back, it’s designed to make your sweetheart swoon with every stroke. $199, Orée 
- Even Better: These boards are made in small batches from maple and walnut trees from family-owned forests in Eastern France.
- Even Better: In a world of big box electronic stores, Chicago’s very own Abt has thrived as an independent retailer since 1936.
Read the complete 2017 Gift Guide:
Cara Sullivan is Make It Better’s Print Managing Editor. She has held positions at Cosmopolitan, Allure, and Martha Stewart Weddings magazines, and writes for many national and local publications. Sullivan lives in Ravenswood Gardens with her husband and two young daughters, and is a passionate supporter of Indivisible Chicago , a grassroots organization that focuses on direct actions that small, local groups can take to influence their representatives in Washington.