Fall is a perfect time to begin the school search for your children. Many private schools and preschools often host Open Houses during the day or evening. This provides a unique opportunity to see the school in action. If you have the option, choose a time when the students are in the classroom so you can see the learning environment and teacher interactions firsthand. Other things to note:
- The vibe of the school community
- The physical space of the school
- Utilization of technology
- Integration of faith for religious schools
Ideally at the Open House you will take a tour given by a parent, administrator, and/or student. Make sure to have prepared questions. Whether answers are provided along the way, it is the perfect time to ask them. While questions will vary depending on your child’s age, some key questions are:
- How do the teachers engage the learners?
- What is the culture of the classroom?
- What instructional support services are provided?
- How is learning assessed?
As well as other practical questions:
- What are the school hours?
- Is there a hot lunch program?
- Is a before or after care program offered?
- What is the cost of tuition?
- What is the fundraising responsibility?
- Are there required service hours for students or parents?
At the end of your Open House visit, make sure you understand the admissions/application process and timeline as well as required forms. For older students, the school may offer a Shadow Day where the student visits for a day and experiences it firsthand. Making the most of the Open House experience allows you to find the right fit for your child. Enjoy the search!
Our Lady of Perpetual Help School
A Premier Private Education in the Finest Catholic Tradition
1123 Church St. | Glenview, IL 60025 | olph-il.org | 847-724-6990
Upcoming Admission Events:
Preschool & Kindergarten Information Night
Wednesday, Nov. 14: 6:00 – 7:00 pm
Preschool-8th Grade Open House Tours
Wednesday, Nov. 14: 4:00 – 6:00 pm
Thursday, Nov. 15: 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 pm